We are seeking a plating engineer with 5+ years of experience as an
R&D and formulation chemist in surface finishing for direct
manufacturing and commercialization. Expertise in electroplating
metals and metallic alloys in aqueous solutions, pre-treatment
(cleaning, pickling, Zn and Mn phosphate, etc.), and diagnosis and
failure analysis of coatings.
We need this person to assist in the selection, design, definition,
optimization, and control of electroplating and corrosion-resistance
plating processes. These processes will be instrumental in properly
applying corrosion-resistant coatings to UMC products. Other
responsibilities include supporting the QC team by identifying
cost-effective solutions for controlling parameters in order to ensure
that customers’ critical to quality characteristics are met 100% of
the time. As part of this, the ideal candidate will ensure that any
process implemented eliminates all non-conforming parts. This aspect
of the job will grow in importance as the process parameters and
conditions are defined.
Other tasks could involve preparing proposals, supporting the quoting
process and customer’s process design; participating in the design of
other plating projects, including automated production lines and
related facilities installation; working with multi-disciplinary
teams, including mechanical, electrical, R&D and business development
to select the formulations and processes for each project; and
training production personnel.
Key Duties and
• Design experiments for coating process optimization.
• Design experiments for coating processes validation.
• Supporting the QC team in sampling analysis for process
and product quality control.
• Manage storage of materials, supplies, reports,
corrosion tests, data and data analysis.
• Liaising with vendors, suppliers, customers, regulators,
and environmental consultants.
• Understanding budgets, forecasting.
• Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Skills
• Familiar with corrosion testing techniques and standards
• Basic knowledge of inferential statistics.
• Analytical chemistry: wet chemistry, AA, selective
probe, HPLC, UV, FTIR, TOC, CV
• Material characterization: SEM/EDS, XRD, DSC, TGA,
• Transitioning processes from R&D pilot to manufacturing
• Keywords: inorganic and water soluble organic chemistry,
electrode interface reactions, redox equations, corrosion,
surfactants, colloids, material science, environmental and wastewater
treatment, microbial fuel cells
• Advanced computer skills, including SPSS, Word, Excel,
and Power Point
• Knowledge of Design Of Experiments approach to process
optimization (appreciated but not required).
• Ability to use other data analysis software such as
OriginLab or others (appreciated but not required).
• Excellent organizational and time management skills,
with the ability to manage multiple tasks in the same time frame.
• Must be a good problem solver and enjoy a dynamic,
collaborative, and team-oriented work environment.
• Attention to detail.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Strong problem solving ability, and analytical
• Willingness to travel domestically or abroad if
• Ability to work in a fast paced and deadline driven
• Developing formulas and prepare tests trials in
functional/decorative coatings heavy industry – e.g. automotive,
materials science, and oilfield applications
• Assisting technical service teams in understanding and
implementing fresh release of R&D processes
• Creating additives with a variety of materials,
including but not limited to, Ni, Zn, Cu, Sn, Sb, Fe, Cr, Co, Ag.
• Designing of pilot line tests, and training of technical
personnel to develop operational parameters